WINDOWS 8 METRO APP DESIGN TIPS
Take outs from developer camps:
- Fluid & Fast
- Purpose & style
- Snap & scale
- A great tile is important to draw in users
- Contracts (a standard)
- Connected & alive
- The cloud is key, people use many devices
- Embrace metro principles
- Content before "chrome"
- Content rules
- Task bar gone - app bar here.
- Remove the "chrome" and clutter
- Own the pixels
- Typography to create a sense of structure and heirachy
- 42pt, 20pt, 11pt, 9pt
- Let the content flow edge to edge
- Single axis navigation only
- Ergonomics count
- Charms live on the edge
- The user instincts are already there
- Authentically digital - match the user
- No need for buttons
- Integrate commands into the content
- Everything is a story - an assembly of conversations
- Symantec zoom
- Hub, spokes, details
- Continuity through motion
- Animations help tell the story
- Design for touch first
- Visual and command zones are different
- 1366 x 768 is the minimum
- Layout, interactions & navigation
- Remote testing over the network is cool
- WinRT API exposes the core OS services.
- Automatically projects core api's into each environment
- Fast and fluid, more than 50ms = Async = await.
- WinRT optimises apps to conserve power
- .appx = files, manifest, signature
- Must ask user for permissions to use services
- Microsoft ID can be used to storing user preferences to support roaming.
- WinRT.WinJS Promises for Async coding, using .then
- Lots of widgets/UI controls to use.
- Use js Module pattern
- Contacts are key to assembling your app into the OS - search & share.